Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sucking the Fun out of Life

Yep....that is exactly what lupus does. It sucks the fun out of life. I know that 99% of the time I am happy, upbeat, and positive, but every dog has its day, right? Well, today is my day. Lupus has taken away from me the thing that I have looked forward to every year since I can remember. My family vacation. Every summer my parents used to load up my sister, myself, and their friends up and we would all go to the beach for a week. I mean we played from sun up to sun down, came in, got dressed, and went out to eat somewhere nice (my mother, sister, and I had to always have matching outfits). After we got back to our condo, we would either play games or hunt crabs on the beach until the wee hours in the morning. Oh my goodness, it brings tears to me eyes just thinking about the good times we had.

When I met the hubs, I wanted that tradition to continue with my family. Every Spring Break and every summer we headed to the beach and did exactly what I did as a child growing up. That was until.....................I was diagnosed with lupus and began all the medication that makes your body so sun sensitive. We still have tried every summer to go to the beach and do all the fun things I remember doing as a child, but it never seems to work out that way. I am stuck under the umbrella with my SPF 50 and my PFG shirt watching everyone get their sun kissed tan and floating themselves to sleep in the ocean. I try to occupy my time by reading, but I catch myself watching all the families playing with their children in the sand or riding the waves. What happened???? Where did my fun go????

As I was sitting under the umbrella today at the beach while everyone else had gone to the pool, I saw this lady come walking down to the beach with a broken leg. Yes, A BROKEN LEG!!! She had that cast wrapped up in plastic and she was good to go. Good grief, people with broken legs get to have fun in the sun and me, who looks perfectly healthy other than the sun poison I got the first day, can't do Jack squat. Have you ever thought lupies, that at the end of the day we have nothing to look forward to health wise. I mean we are not getting a huge settlement from whoever rear ended us in that car accident, we are not getting a settlement from our employer because heck, we don't even make it to work half the time because we are too sick to get out of the bed, and there is not a pain pill strong enough to knock the pain out. It always comes back.

I would love to be at the pool (which by the way is absolutely gorgeous at this resort) with the hubs and Twinkle Toes, but I had to come in because the pain from the heat was unbearable. I would love to go shopping at the outlet mall, but the hubs says we are in conservation mode because we are getting ready for him to go to school (womp,womp).

So, for now, I will just lay here, turn the TV on, watch People's Court and call it a day.

Stay strong friends, happy, and healthy!!!

~Tiffany~

P.S. The hubs just came in my kid threw up in the pool...Lawd help me!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment