Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Be a Helper

I am deviating today from the "So What Wednesdays". I want to apologize for the lengthy post, but it's just what's on my mind.

Just about every blog I have read recently has been talking about Boston and the writers were offering their prayers and well wishes for a speedy recovery. As I read these blogs and watch the news stations' coverage of the event, I can't help but think about the runners that never made it to the finish line. Now, I am NOT a runner. I was state runner-up in the 800 meter when I was in high school (pat on the back), but now I couldn't run one block, much less one mile. Getting back to the discussion now............. It is my understanding that you can't just sign up to run the Boston Marathon. You have to train for years and then you have to qualify. I do know that the Boston Marathon is one of the most prestigious events you can participate in as a runner, and it is every distance runner's dream to run in such a prestigious race. But, what if you were running at your comfortable pace, jamming to your iPod, and couldn't be happier and then all of a sudden someone pulls you off the course and says you can't finish, someone has terrorized the finish line? I cannot imagine how devastating this must be. A once in a lifetime experience that you have worked so hard for and so long for gone...just like that, and more than likely you will never get that opportunity again.

Lupus was my terrorist that attacked my body in the summer of 2003. I had everything going for me. I had a wonderful fiancé that I had hoped for a prayed for for so long (now know as the Hubs). I was about to start my senior year of college, and that was something that I had prepared for my whole life. I had prepared myself to be able to earn a living for my family and myself by going to school and getting an education. I was healthy, both mentally and physically, and that was something I took pride in. It was something that I had worked at everyday for as long as I can remember. I was physically fit. I didn't smoke or drink or do drugs that would do harm to my body. I was in my happy place, running the race of my life, and then....BOOM.... I was diagnosed with lupus. I felt like the race of a lifetime was coming to an end.

Mama Laughlin posted a quote from Runners World today and it really hit home. Lupies are a lot like runners and living a live with lupus is a lot like running a race.

"Running is a sport of goodwill. It's the only sport in the world where if a competitor falls, the others around will pick him or her up. It's the only sport in the world open to absolutely everyone, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity or any other division you can think of. It's the only occasion when thousands of people assemble, often in a major city, for a reason that is totally peaceful, healthy and well-meaning. It's the only sport in the world where no one ever boos anybody."
-Roger Robinson, Runner's World, April 15th, 2013


How many times do we stop and pick up a fellow lupie that has fallen down? If you haven't, you should. That is what support groups are for. They are for picking each other up when we fall. It shouldn't matter what ethnic group you are a part of, or what age or gender you are. We are all in this race together. The race of LIFE with LUPUS. We should encourage each other and support the different foundations and organizations working hard to find a cure for US. 

I am in no way saying that lupus is as bad as an act of terrorism, but people do die from it and suffer daily. It is my prayer that we help others and show kindness in our words and actions. You can help them from near and far by praying. Pray for Boston, pray for the runners and their families, pray for those that were involved with September 11th, because I know this brought back horrifying memories, and pray for your fellow lupies. 




Happy Wednesday......Do something good for somebody today......Be a helper!!!!

~Tiffany~

No comments:

Post a Comment