Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lupus and Your Diet

So sorry this post is late!!!! We are dealing with possible bad weather today, so I had to deal with the 10000000 questions of, "Do you know if we are getting out early today?" You should check out my response on Instagram (tiffanyadonnan). It's a hoot and a half :) Without further a due........ today's post that is sitting hard on my mind.

If I have had one person tell me that I needed to try an auto-ammune diet, or that I needed to try a clean diet, I would bet you that I have had 20 (including doctors). About a year ago I got my nutrition/diet guru bestie, Em J, and we went grocery shopping and bought gluten free, sugar free, food and snacks. She went aisle by aisle with me telling me all about the different foods I needed to eat and what to look for in the ingredients. I was so excited to get this new part of my life started. I had hit my all time high, weight wise, and I was miserable. I felt miserable. I felt that I looked miserable. I had a swollen face and a belly that would rival a 6 month pregnant mom to be. I had to make a change and it had to begin with my diet.

I spent $250.00 restocking my cabinets and getting rid of all the artificial crap I had been stuffing my face with for years. I had every meal planned and was ready to go. I did so good with cooking and making sure I provided my family with a healthy, clean meal every night. This lasted for about a month and I started feeling worse than what I felt before I started this diet. I was like, what the heck, I'm not doing something right. On one of our everyday talks, I asked Em J what I was doing wrong. She said nothing, I don't understand what is going on. To make a long story short, I gave up for a few months, started eating crap again, and lo and behold, I felt better. Then it hit me!!!!

I was a working lupie that is on her feet for 8 hours a day and then I came home and stood on my feet for 2 more hours preparing and cooking dinner. I was EXHAUSTED!!!! I didn't know which evil to choose. Do I choose eating crap, gaining weight, but feeling good because I came home rested, and threw in an oven pizza.....OR.....do I choose eating healthy, spending 2 hours cooking, and feeling like crap? I chose the latter.

Fast forward a year and I have lost approx 30 pounds and gained my confidence back. I did so good last summer and this fall with my eating habits. I made sure I didn't over eat and I had good, wholesome snacks in the house and in my lunch box to snack on. I still felt like crap because I didn't come home and rest (like I am told to do) after work, but I didn't care. I liked looking better than I felt. (Que: "But you don't look sick.")

Now let's talk about today. It has probably been a month since I have weighed myself and I took the plunge this morning and my jaw dropped!!! I have gained 10 pounds in a month. Are you serious??? 10 pounds??? What am I doing wrong? I looked in my cabinets and this is what I found.


Crap!!!!!!! Easy Mac, Rolo's, oven pizza, Ramen noodles, giant Fudge Rounds, chips, chicken fingers, white bread, etc.

The evidence speaks for itself. We don't go out, but apparently, we eat crappy, processed, food. I have not felt well lately and have been absent in the kitchen. So, the hubs takes over and I find something that is quick and easy (Hince the pizza and chicken fingers). 

How do you working lupies do it? Do you eat crap or do you eat a clean, healthy diet? I would love to know how you do it if you have a special diet, and how it works!!! 

Have a great day lupies!!!

~Tiffany~



OOTD
top: my favorite of all time Piko from Kiki La Rue
Pants: Target
Wedges: Target
Necklace: LOFT

3 comments:

  1. Tiffany, l am struggling with the exact same problem. I don't or can't cook anymore! I barely make it from school to my bed! So, my husband goes to the various nearby places for food . Last night we had Johnny Carinos. d barely ate because I was too tired to eat but I am still gaining weight like crazy! I tried using an app that monitored my calories and I found I am eating less than 1200 calories but still gaining ! This damn illness is like walking a tightrope while carrying things in both hands and your head while on A bike! Any little shift can have disastrous effects And you don't even know what set it in motion! I think you look greats much better than me! You Commented that you get a rash and I just get a little red and extremely tired-beat up even. I honestly don't know what to do! I am doing the best I Can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :)
    I am fairly new to the blogging community and found ya from following mamalaughlin on Keek :) I seen your keek video where you said you had lupus
    I have a friend who was just recently was diagnosed with lupus, so that is def. the main reason i wanted to read your blog. :) My friend was sick for a year lost so much weight and no one could figure out what was wrong, it took an ambulance ride and being in heart failure for anyone to do a lot of tests and get more aggressive. He was in the hospital for a week to get stabilized and once he was out they finally thought and tested for lupus. He is only 23 years old. :(

    Well girly, thanks for allowing us into your life. And i loved your keep video today, JUST DANCE! wahoo. happy friday.

    http://britney502.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently found your blog. I love your stories and your attitude!! I work 3 days a week, teach Sunday School, have a husband, 3 kids, 3 cats & 2 dogs....finding energy to cook is a challenge! I find lots of recipe ideas on Pinterest for the slow cooker & other quick meal ideas. I've also found it handy to prep ahead of times on easy days. Boiling and de-boning a whole chicken to put in the freezer, browning a famiky pack of ground beef to put in the freezer and doubling recipes to freeze an entire extra meal are huge helps for me. I eat gluten free but my family doesnt for the most part. Some recipes I adapt to my needs, others I fix a seperate portion for myself and a few I just "splurge" on if I'm feeling good. Going gluten free has made a huge difference in how I feel, I've been amazed at the results!! Good luck on getting back on track! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete